Dental cleanings are very important if you aspire to keep your mouth healthy. They allow a trained professional to clean your teeth and give you feedback about potential problem areas. They also permit a visual examination of the teeth and gums in case any oral health problems have arisen since the last visit. Because dental cleanings are so important, your Ankeny dentist, Dr. Erika Peddicord, would like to test your knowledge about them with this fun quiz.
- True or False: There is only one type of dental cleaning.
- True or False: You should have your teeth cleaned by a professional every six months.
- True or False: The focus of every cleaning is to prevent dental problems.
- False. More than one kind of dental cleaning does exist. The kind of cleaning you receive depends largely upon your needs. If your mouth appears healthy, you will receive a prophylaxis, the typical cleaning given during a dental appointment. This type of cleaning focuses on plaque and tartar removal. A hygienist performing a prophylaxis will use a variety of tools to scrape any plaque or tartar from teeth. However, if you exhibit symptoms of gum disease, your Ankeny dentist, Dr. Peddicord, may perform a root planing and scaling. This type of dental cleaning is typically performed on patients with periodontitis, a damaging form of gum disease that attacks the base of teeth and the tissues and ligaments that support them. A root planing and scaling seeks to remove the bacteria that attack the base of teeth in order to restore the patient’s oral health.
- True. You should visit your Ankeny dentist, Dr. Peddicord, once every six months for regular cleanings and checkups.
- False. As in the case of a root planing and scaling, the goal of a dental cleaning may be to restore oral health rather than to maintain it.
Schedule a Visit with Your Ankeny Dentist
When was your last dental cleaning? If more than six months have passed since your last dental visit, schedule an appointment with your Ankeny dentist, Dr. Peddicord, today by calling 515-963-3339. Our 50021 dentist office welcomes patients from Ankeny, Bondurant, Cambridge, Sheldal, Maxwell, Collins, and all surrounding communities.