When you know that we offer particular treatments at our practice – but then you notice that you can purchase what looks like a similar treatment for a surprisingly great price at the drugstore – you may find yourself quite conflicted. What to do? Choose the OTC teeth whitening – or not? Try to fix your broken tooth with an item from the store, or contact us right away? In general, it is always safe to say that checking with us first or simply choosing professional care is always the best choice for your smile. Let’s see how much you know!
Quiz: True or False?
- True or False: If you are interested in teeth whitening, it is always safer to choose professional whitening to protect your smile’s health and to make sure the finished product is beautiful.
- True or False: If you think you’re suffering from gingivitis, OTC products that say they can help fight gingivitis won’t help – they’re only good for preventive measures.
- True or False: If your filling falls out, you chip a tooth, or you experience any other form of tissue loss, you may be able to use a temporary filling product from the drugstore as a quick fix until we see you – but it is not a final solution.
- True. We always encourage you to receive teeth whitening from our professional team, rather than attempting to administer over-the-counter products on your own. OTC items can cause damage and discomfort and may yield poor results.
- True. In general, this is true. Once your gums have become inflamed, you will need professional periodontal care to address the issue. Then, you may wish to incorporate OTC products for future prevention.
- True. A temporary filling may offer you some short-lived help until you see us but it is not a solution to your problem.