Do you often wake up with an aching tooth or sore jaw? Does your significant other often complain that you grind your teeth during sleep? If so, then you may be experiencing the common warning signs of bruxism. A common dental health issue, this refers to chronic teeth grinding or clenching of the jaw. Asking yourself: “How do I stop grinding my teeth?” Then try our fun and informative quiz.
Teeth Grinding Quiz
- True or False: Stress can lead to bruxism.
- True or False: Headaches are a common warning sign of grinding.
- True or False: Without treatment, you can damage your teeth.
- True or False: We can correct the issue with a dental guard.
- True. Along with anxiety, consuming caffeine and alcohol, malocclusion, and tooth loss can all lead to teeth grinding episodes. For some patients, simple lifestyle changes are enough to ease grinding or clenching episodes. Reducing day-to-day stress and cutting back on the consumption of caffeine and alcohol can help you stop suffering from bruxism.
- True. In addition to headaches, patents may encounter facial pain, toothaches, sensitive teeth, earaches, neck pain, and should discomfort. If you find one or more of these warning signs are familiar, then please contact a dental professional right away. Otherwise, you could be placing your smile at risk.
- True. Over time, grinding and clenching your teeth places inordinate pressure on them, leading to fractures, chips, and even wearing away enamel.
- True. Worn at night during sleep, the dental guard resembles a night guard. The device keeps the upper and lower teeth from touching, which can help end bruxism episodes.
ABOUT YOUR ANKENY DENTIST
Dr. Peddicord offers a complete range of preventative, cosmetic, and restorative dental procedures as well as high quality dental prosthetics. Dr. Peddicord can answer your inquiries, and provide the services you need to maintain the health, beauty, and function of your teeth. To schedule an appointment at Peddicord Family Dentistry, please contact us at 515-963-3339. Our Ankeny, IA dentist’s office proudly provides general and cosmetic dentistry services to patients from Bondurant, Polk City, Elkhart, Alleman, and Cambridge.